View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #751 (permalink)
GrahamMc
EcoModding Lurker

Roger/Lectruck - Thanks for the heads-up. Right now I think I want to focus on the controller, and build this car backwards. I will get the glider/donor car last. In the meantime I think I would use my wife's treadmill to test a controller, and build it as a learning experience/hobby/practical start to my electric car. But I am in no great hurry as we recently bought an investment property and that is about all the projects I can handle right now since it was foreclosed and neglected. I would, however, love the Warp 9 motor, if I lived in Atlanta I would have a hard time resisting.

Paul - I went to the ZEVA page you linked in an earlier post and read through the story of that controller, and have also been poking around Futurelec. Still trying to wrap my head around the wiring, but I am getting closer. I am excited to assist the open-source speed controller effort in any way I can. Any luck with the schematic and parts list, or are the ones from page 3 or so still pretty much the current revision? Best Wishes and happy motoring.

Oh yeah, I also came across Firefly Batteries while poking around. They are actually located here in Peoria, IL. They will hit the market soon, but are essentially deep cycle lead-acid batteries with half the lead so therefore twice the energy density. They have prototypes in trucks and buses here now, so I am watching them with interest as the solution promises almost Lithium-Ion performance for almost Lead-Acid cost. (also a company called Axiom doing something similar but is further behind in getting to market).

Oasis Battery - fireflyenergy.com

HOME