View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
evolutionmovement
EcoModding Apprentice

Well, it still sounds like you'll need a special windshield unless you could chop an OEM one and get it to work by reducing the cockpit's frontal area as well as leaning it back, but getting a rounded shape to blend with the sides is the hard part. It occurred to me after, but a Lancia Stratos windshield would probably be amazing. There is a company that builds exact replicas with parts so accurate they're often used as replacements for damaged originals. Cost is unknown, but it has an extreme rake and wraps around quite dramatically, very much like an aircraft. That should allow you to build a cockpit behind it for up to 4 people. I'm going with an actual aircraft canopy myself, but the resulting car will likely be only a single seater, possibly two in tandem depending on the car I choose to start with. FOr the windshield, I'm compromising aero a little by making a 3-piece front like a WWII fighter, with a flat safety glass center panel. Perhaps a similar thing could be done for a wider cockpit with a split windshield like a pre-war car, having two flat panels angled towards the sides (something like a De Havilland Mosquito).