View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
just got your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett_Racing View Post
Phil,

Sorry for delay in replying…thanks for the post, made good reading!

One thing regarding our clutch, it does not use timers or anything, it’s a 2 plate pedal clutch from Crower. Due to the nature of the fuel and the blower we use, it will pull hard till about the 1/8th the the rest is down to taking fuel away to keep the AFR good I mean it still pulls but not a strongly. To give an idea, it will do 175+mph at the 1/8th but will only gain another 40ish mph to the finish line.

(1) I have thought about adding a slim wing to the front of the car, infront of the bodywork to smooth the whole front,

(2) What about making some angles pieces that sit to help with the bulkhead?

(3) I think for now with this body we will have to make the best of it….

(4) Good point, how can we help this?

(5) We need a wing tunnel I think

(6) We will definetly be making the wing struts from areo tube this year I hope.

(7) Would a canard style wing in front of the rear slicks help this???

(8) I remember the wing, everyone laughed till he went 260mph!

Thanks for the info I will try these and try to get the car in there.

Also thanks for the post, appreciate it
Luke
Luke,just now got your post and looked at some of the other comments.Looks like your getting some good feedback on the project.With respect to your latest comments (1) yes,I think a smaller canard at the very front would pay.(2) for the nose piece,a curved,tapering tail ( fish/birds) would be best,although most difficult to fabricate.Tapered panels,with say,no more than 12-degrees inward taper would help manage that wake.(3) even a flat,engine-height, vertical panel,spanning from behind the engine to the firewall would help minimize circulation (drag) there.(4) anything would help that sharp edge at the firewall and windscreen frame.A simple 45-degree chamfer would help direct air around,although of course,a radius would be the best( as large as you could get away with),allowing the air to flow around those corners without separating.(5) If you had a university in the area with a small windtunnel,a couple hundred Pounds might get the students to do a study of the car.My friend Kenny Lyons paid $300 US to Texas Tech University Aero Lab back in the early 90s,for a work up on his Becker/Lyon motorcycle streamliner he runs at Bonneville.Really useful data! (6) the aero-strut material is a sure-thing! Not a lot of frontal area involved but it's amazing what that teardrop profile does to drag reduction.(7) I think something like a deflector would be best for the back tires.Something that could steer the air around and over.It may also violate the rules.And something I would bounce off my local Goodyear Race jobber,is that if you shield the tires,do you run the risk of over-heating them and inviting a high-speed blow-out? Dragsters and funny cars can have shielded tires,but they may be a different compound than yours.You don't want to fix one problem,and then create another unawares!--------------- Finally,I had a question about the air/fuel ratio during the second 1/8th mile.Could the air around the blower be so turbulent right now,that the airstream isn't carrying some of that heat-of-compression away,leading to the richer mixture? Is it possible,that if air was purposely directed down the sidewalls of the supercharger,that at over 175 mph,she'd run a bit cooler,and you could "keep your foot in it"? ------------------- Let us know how things fall together and best to you with the project,Phil.