View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

You are correct in the Ah and volts you get.

The problem is those batteries probably do not have a very high tolerance for either amperage or voltage.

I would gamble the 3.7s are around 12 volts and the 9s are around 14-16. You have to put them in series like you do in a tubular flashlight. Slide one battery in and then the next. This causes each successive battery have to support more strain. What makes the expensive packs expensive is the cells have high tolerances that can reach that 220 volt mark without burning out.

In my example there is no way you could get 24 of those things in series and not fry half of them. Also I don't think their amperage gets high enough. You need at least a solid 2-3 amps to do anything and I think thats outside their tolerance. Once again you would cook them and then the others would burn out twice as fast.

Thats why car batteries are expensive. They have a relatively high voltage tolerance(12 volts continous up to 16) and they can do 200 amps for very short periods and 50-60 long enough to start your engine. An equivalent stack of those would scorch a hole in your battery box from heat transfer and never work again.