View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
evolutionmovement -

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
I had a similar idea for a deployable airdam meant for high-speed stability that used pneumatic cylinders that took their air supply from waste air from a turbocharger (small compressed air tank could be filled externally and replenished by waste air that normally was vented to atmosphere via blow-off valve). The idea could be used in a normally aspirated car by just using the external air source (or a compressor for air suspension). It was to be manually actuated as I thought rigging it up to a pitot tube would be too ridiculous. Never ended up building it, but I did write it into one of my books, not that that's a proof of concept, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Yeah, I was thinking of all sorts of active grill blocks. I have at least one mechanism that I know will work (my Dad made it while helping me on an Energy Design project at UCLA), but it would be a lot of labor to make it work just right, and I didnt' want to run wires if I didn't have to. What I am trying to do is make it a "semi-active" system that uses the air pressure to my advantage.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society