View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #772 (permalink)
esoneson
EcoModder Student

Boy, we are really coming a long way here. Such great ideas, great improvements and additions.

Up to this point Paul has been handling all the integration of parts, design, ideas, features, etc, etc.... Great job Paul!!!!

And now we have several enthusiasts that are chomping at the bit to get going with implementation. Gee, even before Ben has had a chance to do a full 144 Volt test. This only shows the confidence of the masses in the fine design of the Paul and Sabrina motor controller (name TBD).

At this point I will urge the incorporation of version control to the design. Yes, I know, version control may sound like overkill at this stage but it will help all of us when comparing our implementations. And vastly help the designer (Paul.....Yowza!) to maintain a history of changes and why the changes were made.

I have been involved in software/hardware development for more years than I care to think about. It may be a pain in the butt to get set up, but please start thinking about it now.

We need version control on 1) Parts list, 2) schematic, 3) Software, 4)(not quite there, yet but) PCB layout.

It is easy to add version control by hand but it is so very much more useful to use a program to handle it. There will be a need to relate bug descriptions to bug fixes to changes in parts/code/schematic/layout and to versions of those components.

I will look into some choices, but if anyone out there has a favorite version control tool (free, easy to use, simple, open source product that Paul could use) please bring it to the discussion.

This will also enable us, when adding big features and design changes, to integrate them and give back to the open source community as alternate motor controller designs. Example: I would like to be able to control two motors at the same time with one controller.

Version Control.....think about it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Eric