View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Had a good weekend with the buggy...got the grill block on and pumped up the tires after topping off the tank and getting my SGII calibrated for my first "official" tank.

Grill block (photos are included...it was raining...sorry guys): was extremely easy to do. Blocked the top grill and one row of the bottom grill with foam pipe 3/4" insulation cut in half. Bottom grill needed slightly smaller amount of material so I trimmed one half of the material down with scissors. Just folded the material in half and stuffed it in the grill. There are vertical pieces of the grill that do not allow the material to be stuffed in as easily as the other areas so I have a wavy effect in the grill.

Really can't see the grill block unless you look closely. The bottom grill is longer than the top so it is not completely blocked. I may go with two separate pieces on the bottom grill block because a little bit popped out while driving on Sunday (not enough to blow it out but enough that I'd like to make an adjustment). Might block the first two slots in the bottom grill and see how the temps react to that (getting braver by the day).

My max temp. on Sunday during 40 miles of driving was 195 (it was 60 degrees). Today in 45 degree weather my max temp was still 195 (hit that going up a big hill). I'll keep my eye on it and see if it gets over 200 when the weather warms up...but it's fine for now.

My grill block got my temps up to 160 within 5 minutes today...on past commutes it was in the 7-8 minute range (that's good news). And...I noticed my energy screen recorded about 37 mpg in the first 5 mins. today compared to 25-30 mpg before the grill block was installed.

PSI: Pumped up the tires to 44 on the front and 42 on the rear. Slightly bumpier ride but nothing I can't deal with. Other people in the car might notice but I'm good with it.

My commute to work today was:
45 degrees
57.0 on the SGII (58.1 on the in-car)
Guessing I'm somewhere in the 57-59 mpg range right now (with the current mods and temps). Compared to my previous commutes I'm about 2 mpg higher with the mods in place (will see what mpg numbers I get this week).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	3168   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	3169   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	3170   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	3171  

Last edited by Matt Herring; 04-06-2009 at 02:09 PM..