View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ritmusic2k
EcoModding Lurker

Carmen - '00 Saab 9-3 Viggen
90 day: 23.38 mpg (US)
An introduction from an unlikely hypermiler

Hello all!

I just sorta wrote down everything I'd want to say in my vehicle description, so I'm just going to repeat it here:

Carmen is an aspiring Jekyl-and-Hyde. She's a sports car, and she knows how to drink like one. I'm often quite economically-minded. My goal, therefore, is to get her to achieve significantly improved fuel economy upon request, without having to permanently sacrifice an ounce of performance.

Carmen is a 2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen that I picked up this past October. She's a demon and I love driving her, whether it be a four-hour jaunt to Vegas or a quick trip to the store. Ultimately, I have simultaneous urges in divergent directions. That is to say, I intend to wring every last scrap of available power out of her, but I also intend to wring every last calorie of energy from the fuel she burns and convert it into motion.

My endgame is to have a car that produces in the neighborhood of 300 horsepower, but can reliably return over 45mpg highway when prompted to do so.

I know this is anathema to much of the spirit of this forum's membership, but I want to prove to myself and to others that a car doesn't have to give up one strength for another. I hope to make a few friends here, and am really looking forward to learning as much as possible about all this.