View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #134 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Hi,

I was surprised to find one of my charts in this thread so if there are any questions. As background, I have a Graham miniscanner that reports up to six data metrics in just over 1 second. There are nearly 100 metrics that can be chosen but only six recorded via the RS-232 line.

For these charts, I measured MG1 torque, which is 28% of the ICE torque. Combined with ICE rpm, I have the shaft power into the transaxle. For fuel flow, I can use either mass airflow or injector timing.

Initial Engine Efficiency Chart:

I prefer this chart because the small red bubbles do a better job of showing the peak efficiency region. It also includes the HP graph.

This is another look at similar data from a single fuel tank:

This is graph from one of the SAE papers on the Prius I was trying to replicate:

Data from another trip:

Now one of the Prius SAE papers on the Prius has this operational line:

So I made a variation of that chart:

This chart is a little easier to deal with because it uses engine RPM as the X-axis and the expected torque. Understand this is more of a model chart versus the earlier measured charts.

Bob Wilson

* - SAE 2004-01-0064 - "Development of New-Generation Hybrid
System THS II - Drastic Improvement of Power Performance and Fuel Economy", Koichiro Muta, Makoto Yamazaki and Junji Tokieda
Toyota Motor Corp. Reprinted From: Advanced Hybrid Vehicle Powertrains 2004 (SP-1833) 2004 SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 8-11, 2004

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-07-2009 at 09:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
kennybobby (09-12-2012)