View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
rkcarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Using sprayed in FG could be. . .risky. I've had FG cary body parts explode on the highway from rocks. It makes a lovely mess.

If you wanna go FG all you need to do is get a mold fabbed, put a liner down, lay Fiberglass cloth(Fiberglass Cloth in bidirectional weave) coat in resin and fixative and sit and wait. It heats up a little you wait 45 minutes pop it out sand, smooth paint bolt.
My first boss used to own a small company that made composite aircraft parts and small boats. They would coat the prototype with a waxy non-stick stuff, then lay a fiberglass mold over it and build up many layers. After it dried they would remove it, beef it up with a wood structure, and do some finish work such that the items done in the mold came out needing minimal handwork. I have never done this work myself but I understand it and know how it works. Fiberglass stinks and I have no desire to work with it myself unless I had a totally ventilated filtered room to work in wearing a haz-mat suit( I have neither). My machinist/fabricator work already cost me my lower back(reason I am at a desk now), and I'd like to retain a healthy respiratory system.