View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
rkcarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

Thats a tough one because we were tuning for HP.
I guess in theory if you retarded the timing so the intake valves opened later, the engine would draw in a little less fuel/air mixture on the downstroke PROVIDING your intake valves already close well before the piston hits bottom. This could have adverse effects of running hot however due to the also now retarded exhaust cam lobes which now also open and close "late". Gonna have to leave that one to someone more knowledgable of cam timing.....

I've generally found that most of my cars have gotten better mileage and performance by doing upgraded plugs, wires, cold air intake, and exhaust. I also slam the timing as far advanced as I can get and back it off a little once it starts to ping a little.
I'm one that believes a WAI is for those who can't restrain their gas pedal foot, as less air can be delivered by either less dense warm air or a throttle that is a little less open passing cold air, but the car drawing cold air will have the ability to make more HP at WOT than the one drawing in hot air.
Energy theory in general states that the more temperature difference there is the more energy is released, so I would think that cold air/fuel would provide a slightly more efficient burn, where as warm air could actually cause knock in some engines requiring a richer mixture/less timing and therefore worse mpg.