View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #73 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
There are a few stop signs that I run, but never on open roads.

When I lived in the trailer park, there were 4 intersections that had stop signs, and each of them was more openly visible than a public voyeur. I mean, imagine coming to a crossing in a parking lot, where you have to come to a complete stop, but there has never been another car parked there, ever. You can see all four positions of the intersection clearly, and for about 750 feet in either direction (at the least). I don't bother stopping at these.

The other form of "running a stop sign" that I do is when there is a stop sign on a hill that is actually on the hill. I will pull up past the sign so I don't have to accelerate from a stop on the steeper part of the hill, but I do come to a full stop.

Inversely, when there is a stop sign on a down hill, if it's possible to do so, I stop on the hill, so that I need only let off the brakes to begin accelerating at a fair rate. I believe this helps with taking off from a dead stop... I know it helps time, and I'm sure it helps efficiency as well.

I do believe that there are extremes and limits to everything, and obviously, there are people who wish to push them. I don't see it as being any more beneficial to break the law than to just abide by it.

I just abide by it, and see myself still getting better mileage (subjectively) than most of the other people on the road.