View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
SmallFry
Trucking-Modder

Big Truck - '08 International Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
Welcome to EcoModder.
Your numbers are very impressive!
Taking the average truck, high figure (6 mpg); that's a 33% improvement. You're conserving 50.46 gallons every 1000 miles!
What's your typical miles traveled per quarter?
Last quarter, I ran 35,000 miles give or take a few. This quarter should be closer to just 30,000. I hope so anyway. It takes 30,000 + and a minimum of 8 mpg to qualify for the $500 bonus. The variable this month, vacation starts friday, so I lose a week of miles. I should have enough time after to get the 3,000 needed to make up the rest.

Back to your figures, when I started doing this, fuel was on the rise and was in the $4.50 range. I'd put in 200 gallons this particular time. Then I figured the difference from 6 - 8 mpg is roughly 400 miles extra I got on that tank. That is huge! That's just dumb truck driver math. I haven't taken the time to sit down and work out all the percentages and whatnot. lol.
That's how I can justify slowing down. Hopefully when job cuts come - hopefully not, they'll look at who's trying to save money and works hard and keep them (me).

I was wondering how they could pay $500 bonuses to winners, then I did the math on how much 1 truck saves per quarter with a minimus of 8 mpg, and figured $500 vs. the money saved over three months is a drop in the bucket. I'll bet they really like the guys that are half a*sed trying and hit 7.999. They saved a ton of fuel and money, plus they didn't have to pay him/her the bonus.

Anyway. sorry for the long reply. Truckers are typically long winded.