View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Oh? That doesn't sound like deadband - at least my understanding of it. Sounds more like you were in EV mode using battery power. My understanding of deadband was no power flow in any direction to/from the battery or from the engine. Essentially neutral engine-off coasting, no regen, no assist.
I've experienced two separate scenarios where no gas is being used. "Dead band" in neutral coast with no arrows on the energy screen in any direction (no power flow in any direction). And in EV mode with arrows going from the battery to wheels (power flow from battery to the wheels). Didn't want to confuse anyone with the terms "dead band" and EV mode (but both result in no fuel usage).

EV mode seems to function from a dead stop up to about 40 mph. Usually from a dead stop the engine will kick in at some point unless I am extremely skillful at feathering up to speed and not going uphill. I have been able to EV mode from a dead stop to 39 mph over a 1.5 mile course (this happens on my way home from work in heavier traffic from the 1.5 mile mark to my parking spot at home).

Because my commute home is generally more uphill than the commute to work I really try to get into EV mode over the last 1-2 miles to regain some of the lost mpg on the way back home compared to the more downhill drive to work. I am able to get the last mile or so in EV mode on the way to work also.