View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Saving power by changing computing habits and hardware

I have decided to make some changes in my computer system. For one, I own 3 computers that more or less stay on continuously (laptop and 2 desktops). I have started letting my main computer go to sleep when I leave it idle for more then 30 minutes. That computer alone uses up between 400W and 500W of electricity. My laptop uses 65W when it's plugged in and the second desktop uses around 200W. Both desktops now go to sleep when inactive for more then 30 minutes and my laptop I unplug whenever I'm not using it and I close the lid. This helped pretty significantly, however, since I'm on the computer a lot, my desktop doesn't sleep very much and if it's not sleeping, it's not saving. So I have been trying to use my laptop as much as possible to help keep my desktop asleep unless I absolutely need to use it for say, music or movies (I like watching movies on the big LCD screen it has). But that still isn't enough for me.

I'm currently in the process of building a new computer. It will not entirely replace my main desktop, but it will be a desktop that I can use when I want to do anything but play video games. I am using hardware that, in total, should use less then 60W of power and then on top of that I'm building a super efficient operating system to put on it (the operating system is something like Windows XP or Vista for those who don't know) that is based on the "Linux" operating system. My goal is to design a computer system that can be extremely reliable, power efficient and easy to use that I can use for personal use as well as provide to people looking for similar things.

If anyone here has experience with Linux or computers in general and would be interested in being a part of this, please let me know. I'm working on the operating system side right now, trying to strip it as much as possible and get it working well enough that it passes the relative test (giving it to my mom and seeing if she can use it).