View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
SmallFry
Trucking-Modder

Big Truck - '08 International Prostar
Ok, I've been thinking while driving, and looking while I've been stopped. As luck would have it, I think the truck I have was slightly wrecked before I got it. Meaning, the blue bumper cover is not standard. Undamaged truck's blue bumper has a chrome plasic covering. Since this is missing, the main lower gap - that screams to be blocked, has empty bolt holes just waiting to be filled. With that one particular orafice, I can mount something there with bolts or zip ties. The others, I was thinking of trying to find some 70 mph, blue, duct tape (maybe masking tape doubled up as a last resort) to do some experiments. I'm pretty sure the gains would be minimal, but someone with more brain power than me please speculate on what to expect. Here's a rough half-azzed photoshop of what I'd like to do as a start.

Also, I thought of possibly getting a slick, chrome looking duct tape and covering the front wheel holes. I might buy a center/hub cap, but that would still leave exposed studs/lugs. I can also get chrome lug covers which are bound to be more aero than not, but am not sure how much.

I asked my immediate boss if he thought it would be ok if I did some experiments. He said I should suggest some chages to the man in charge of designing/spec-ing out the trucks they buy. I told him, "F" that! I'm going to tape them up and try to with the bike first, then I'll give my secrets - if they work.

Last edited by SmallFry; 04-10-2009 at 08:33 AM..