View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #838 (permalink)
Roger Heuckeroth
EV Converter

I believe there may be some pitfalls in synchronous rectification that will drive you crazy trying to work them out. I would stick with the diodes subscibing to the KISS principal.

The diode is always there ready to freewheel the inductive current. With synchronous rectification what happens at current limit? If your PWM signal gets cut off how do you keep the synchronous mosfets switched? I'm sure there are ways to make synchronous rectification to work reliably, but its a lot of work to gain a bit more efficeincy.

Also, if both sets of mosfets short out, doesn't that make a direct short right across the traction battery pack. That will probably only last a few miliseconds before the main fuse blows or the power stage vaporizes.

My company makes air polution control equipment. If something happens during the warranty period, it almost automatically costs me $1000+ (travel, labor + material). With that type of incentive I have learned to make things as robust as possible. This is a bit different in this case in that worst case is a burnt out power board. Still not something that you want to have happen.

Just my two cents.