View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I did some tests with the kill-a-watt meter, and LCD's don't care as much about background color, I didn't however check on brightness, also with the LCD that I tests, when the computer turns off or goes to sleep and the screen turns it's self off, the little light on the front is the only part that is really on... the kill-a-watt meter showed near zero.
if you are building a computer from the ground up, under clocking the proceser will help alot if you can afford to do that, that is one way that laptops use less power is by taking what would normaly be seen as a fast chip, and slowing it down, because the more you ask a chip to do, the hotter it gets and they can only handle so much heat, so if you want to make a faster chip you have to make it more efficent... simaler to aerodinamics, you can go faster with improved aerodinamics!
look for a computer with fewer fans, some of the mini desk top computers, I think the mac mini is one of them, don't have a cpu fan because the cpu is slow enough that it runs cooler, fans use power, and in the end need a bigger power suply, so you need a fan on that too! of course computers are kind of like cars, their speed is a selling point, even if you don't need it.