View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
SmallFry
Trucking-Modder

Big Truck - '08 International Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
This is a really cool thread. Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any say in how tight your cab/trailer gap is? I have read that the smaller the gap, the better.
Usually yes. With this company, all the 5th wheels are fixed, and are as close as they can be without damaging the cab.

Quote:
I sometimes see trucks from the same company traveling really close together on the freeway (less than a truck length apart). Presumably they're doing this to save fuel. In that case, the two drivers would have to agree to split the prize.

I'm going to have to say no on the fuel mileage part. Although if done correctly, drafting would probably work, but it's just drivers being stupid and/or impatient.

It's better to take the loss, back off, allow the following distance as to not have to "brake - fuel, repeat". It's awful hard to follow that close and not be a nervous wreck. You'd have to be pretty trusting of the driver in front of you, and even then, he cannot control what happens in front of him.

In '05, I rearended the driver I was running with (go ahead and joke), but I wasn't technically tailgating, but I didn't have as much distance as I needed. An empty flatbed in front of him nearly stopped in the middle of I-26 in Columbia, SC, because there was a retread laying across the lane. My friend narrowly missed hitting him, and I narrowly missed stopping. lol. Hitting another truck is terrifying at any speed. I'd slowed to less than 10mph, yet when pulling 46k lbs in a shipping container, it's hard to stop it. It took me a couple of years to feel comfortable in a truck again. The point: take the following distance; It will pay off more than the mpg.