View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super22LL
coasting in neutral

Georgia - '03 Chevrolet S10 Extended Cab Stepside LS
Last 3: 26.99 mpg (US)

Beth - '07 Yamaha R6S
90 day: 50.74 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forum. I'm also a new member with a truck. I have an '03 S10 4 cyl 5 spd ext cab. I've added a scan gauge and been slowly adding mods seeing great returns. Last week I was due for an oil change, I change my own in all my vehicles, and I went to Mobil 1 full synthetic high fuel economy. I haven't been through a full tank on the synthetic to see if there is a noticable improvement, but I believe the engine is smoother.

The most noticable change was inflating my tires to max. The sidewalls are rated at 44 psi and I have them all at 45. No change in ride quality and a definate increase in mpg on the scan gauge. I also noticed I had "fake" foglight holes in my factory air dam. I removed it and duct taped them up from behind. From the front its not even noticable. I then removed my grill and duct taped the lower half of the grill opening shut from the rear side of the grill. Again, from the front you can't tell I did it. Doing these things took my avg mpg on my trip to work form 26.7 to 30.7 with no noticable adverse side effects.

I don't use this truck for a work truck, its my commuter only. I do haul things for the house occasionally, yesterday I had 300 pounds of sand from Lowes in it. I pull a trailer with a lawnmower every two weeks or so. So, the truck isn't really used for "hard" work. My needs for the truck are different from yours but hopefully you can try some of the things I have tried and see some success. Definately get a scangauge if you want to see real time data on your mods, and adjusting your driving style is the biggest improvement you can make. Good luck.