View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Some MrCycles parts are about 1/2 of local before taxes and shipping are figured in. I just don't think even a MrCycles part is reasonably priced. Their seals, which are basically little square-section O-rings, are $6 each! You know there is nothing special about O-rings in materials, design, or manufacture. They are fractions of a penny each to produce. The whole seal kit could be sold at a profit for a fraction of what the price is now. And the calipers would come to about $600- again, no rocket science involved with calipers, they are just little aluminum castings with little machining ops done to them. In comparison to the $1100 retail Honda cost for three calipers, I can get a rebuilt Chevrolet V8 for less than $1000! Yes, that is 600 lbs of equipment with all machining done (what- 50x the amount of machine work compared to those calipers?) plus all new pistons rings bearings oil pump gaskets you name it. There is no comparison.

Honda hates it's customers.

That said, thanks for the link Ryland. In this case I am hopefully going to prevail over that SOB by servicing what I have. When I do come to a spot that I can't Mcgyver out of, they would be a good place to check.

Not sure there has been a replacement parts price spike. In the 35 years I've dealt with motorsports, they have always been high.