View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Deezler's 2003 Jetta TDI Build Thread

Well, inspired by Daox and some others with build threads on the EcoModder forums I decided I would start up my own here. It will be a place to collectively document all my vehicle modifications and maybe serve as inspiration to keep the progress moving.

This is about as close to stock a picture as I could find. I had just swapped out the original 15" wheels for these heavy 17s.

Once I got the adjustable coilover suspension installed I cruised like this for some time:

Each winter I jack the car up and screw the coilover perches all the way back up for max ground clearance in the snowy months. The original 15" wheels got a set of Yoko Ice-Guard snow tires that have been holding up nicely (but are not too great for mileage).

Last summer I found the EcoModder site and began conjuring up mods for efficiency. 40-44 mpg in mixed driving just wasn't cutting it anymore. I know the EPA revised their procedures to better reflect typical mileage results, but I can't shake the original sticker ratings of 42 city and 49 hwy. I have never beat this highway rating, only coming close on two full highway tanks.

I WILL get 55 mpg on a full tank of mixed driving before I feel satisfied. Getting to the 60 mark would be really nice but I doubt I'll ever have the patience to drive that slow.