Thread: 95 Civic VX
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
oldertech
OldertechGuy

Scott'sTxVx - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 48.7 mpg (US)
Dreamin' of a low mileage VX

Daox,

Thanks for checking this out. Makes a huge difference when someone can report, thus saving a long drive. Sounds kind of iffy to me. IF I were to find a low milage car that had original paint and bodywork, a higher price would be justifiable. A lower milage car just has less creaks and groans, in theory.

My partner and I have brought one 225K VX back to life, and after driving it and finally experiencing leanburn (Calif to 49state conversion,) I'm hooked. I'm currently driving a standard transmission Cobalt, and while I can get 36mpg, it's not the same as tallying up the mileage and pulling that 50mpg figure. Leanburn gives you more control of the compromises between getting there quickly and getting there economically and I love it. While the HX is a consideration, the other perk of the VX is the amazing hatchback design and the ability to carry huge amounts of stuff when needed.

I could find a fifthgen shell and do one up like you say, but right now, that quest for the low mileage, always-garaged, driven by the littleoldlady car is intriguing. I can dream. Should I build one from scratch, it would be fun also. Rust and bodywork are the biggest challenge for me, so I'd like to avoid that.

A best friend of mine said don't buy cars that have lived north of I-80, as the salt eats them from the bottom up. It's probably a good rule. It's sad. However, if you can keep an eye on that car and see if the price changes, it would be great. There was one on CL north of me just a few hours in Iowa asking $3500 for a car with 170K and no AC. I may consider that one still if its really clean and not rusted.

Scott