View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #906 (permalink)
Wherewolf
EcoModding Lurker

Exclamation So...you're gonna buy a used forklift........

This may be slightly off thread, but a word of caution to anyone deciding to acquire an electric forklift and haul it yourself. (Yes – this is experience talking….) I know you are thinking about it….. Or tow ANY heavy load for that matter.
I did such an act over this last weekend. It would seem obvious that we’re talking about a great deal of weight here – and it was. Total weight of this model was over 8k, add in the trailer (heavy!) and you get way up there in a hurry…..battery (48v steel cased) weighed over 3k by itself!.
NOW THE WORD OF CAUTION: Check your hitch bolts where the hitch connects to the frame. Mine were apparently loose (I realized in hindsight, probably from towing other really heavy loads) -- come on – really – once a class V receiver is bolted on the truck, who really gets down and inspects the bolts periodically? When I got home after a grueling hour of towing this monstrosity I noticed while unloading that the receiver tube itself was moving around some. Out of 6 bolts: 1 loose on the right side – other two GONE. 1 GONE on the left – other two loose enough to scare the crap out of me.
Needless to say, I replaced all with Grade 8 Fine Thread Bolts, washers, lock washers, and welded the threads below the nuts, so they can't come undone. By the way, this was a ¾ ton Ford with a 1 ton rearend. But I was “probably” over GVWR….But the moral of the story is to check your hitch bolts….it could have gotten real ugly in a big hurry. When the hitch comes off, so do your safety chains and the trailer would have gone wherever it damn well pleased.….whew!
a sidenote: I think I determined what was wrong with the forklift – found a wire hanging underneath, I think it’s a sensor that interlocks with the parking brake. This is an older Hyster, but in pretty good shape –26 foot reach - If I can fix it, slap some paint on it and sell it – buy a different unit to salvage some motors from and have towing fun all over again!

Wherewolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyster.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	3224