View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers
Ernie Rogers

No clear connection between Crr and grip

Hello, Snowfish,

I don't know that there is a clear connection between tire stickyness and tire efficiency. As I recall, in the greenseal report, one of the tires with the lowest Crr happens to be a winter tire. I thought that might be because winter tire rubber is softer to handle low temperatures. (Just a guess.) And, usually soft rubber means lower Crr.

Ernie Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfish View Post
I agree with Drive Stick, but let’s see it I’m on the right page……..

In order to have a lower Crr, that would mean the tire would provide less traction, right. The more it sticks (higher Crr) the harder to get it to turn.

I must have a really low Crr on the Metro now. If we have the slightest snow or ice, I can get stuck on level ground. Yet, on level glare ice, I can push it easier than letting the car do the work!

But on dry payment, we got 53mph a couple weeks ago in March. Now this is Minnesota, so March is not that warm. It was like 45-50 degrees that day. These tires will remain our “summer issue”

I’ve since acquired my “winter issue” tires for next snow season. I’m sure the M&S small truck tires have a much higher Crr, but I should be able to drift bust like nobody’s business!

Kind of a trade off between better FE and spinning your wheels.

I may have missed it, in the above post, but are tires labeled, or coded, for Crr?