View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
doviatt
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitaimdao View Post
I don't know anything about cars, and I'm more concerned about maintenance than mileage. However, I've noticed that what I pay attention to are things that hypermilers also talk about. I never liked using my breaks since I'm paranoid I'll overuse them and they won't work when I'll need them to

kitaimda

I'm kind of the opposite (or more concerned about $$). I am concerned about maintenance but then I see how much shops want to charge me to install a $10 part (like brakes for example) and learned to do it myself. Also I don't really trust auto repair shops anymore. They don't repair just replace stuff 'till you are out of money. I recently replaced the radiator in my Honda for about $50 and probably saved a maybe a hundred. Later when my transmission started slipping I took it to a shop and they wanted $2500 to investigate and rebuild it because they couldn't find what was wrong with it. I said no. I took it home and looked and found one of the transmission cooling lines that goes to the new radiator was plugged/leaking. I replaced the radiator again under warranty and the transmission is fine now. I had even told the shop that I had recently replaced the radiator but they didn't even look there.