View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #94 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonfox View Post
All other things aside. I think we need to clarify the light flashings. Now in most states the older laws mandate that a passing vehicle must sound the horn when over-taking a vehicle. Many truckers (and as a result NOW, most ppl) use a light flash instead. It's not necessarily a hurry up, it's usually a, hey, i'm passing...FYI.

While I agree that some ppl can just be jerks on the road (speeders AND ecomodders alike), for the most part, I'd estimate that most ppl are generally good natured, and not intending to offend drivers--especially when passing a slower vehicle.

As for lower speed limits...I doubt it would have that much affect on drivers habits. Going from MI where it's 70, to OH where it's only 65 on the freeway, most ppl continue to go 75 anyway. I know when I was younger (and much more foolish) I would just go about 80-85 in both states...

IF ONLY I HAD TRACKED MY FE....that would have been laughable.
Yeah, I agree. I regularly drive in Illinois, Missouri, and Oklahoma. On most of Illinois' highways, the speed limit is 65, Missouri is 70, and Oklahoma is 75. In all three states, people seem to average 72-74mph.

Lately, I don't go over the limit in any of those states, but when I was younger, I was the type to set the cruise for 75 regardless of where I was.

I know that there are sometimes legitimate reasons to speed. Even so, since that speeding is something I grew out of, I can't help but feel a bit superior to speeders.

2006 Miata Touring 5MT
2006 VW Jetta TDI 6AT (Sold to buy Miata)
2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 5MT
2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe 5AT (Water damage, totaled)

DeepScale