View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheWildHippie
Treehugger

63mpg in a 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel

I recently finsihed a project on my old 1986 Isuzu Trooper TD. It was a 2.3l Turbo diesel, hd no power to speak of compared to a gas motor Trooper, but averaged 28mpg in town, and 35 on the hiway. Great truck, excellent off road...better than most. BTW, did I mention it was 4x4?

I began my quest to simply gain more power in the mid range, and top end because the truck was such a PIA to tow even a little pop up with. When I tried to tow my 2000lb camper trailer to the lake once, it popped a fuel pump relay fuse! I did all the standard non computer diesel mods if any one is interested I can devilge my mods, but it went from having to literally have it floored on my way up my mountain road for the last 5 miles, to being at 3/4 throttle up that stretch. And from the traffic leaving me at the stop lights in town, to me leaving them....easily!

My hp gains were from a stock at my altitude (7500ft) of 104rwhp, to 154rwhp. And I didn't add a single peice of equipment except a simple turbo boost adjustment valve and a boost gauge and exhaust temp gauge to monitor what was going on and be able to adjust boost to suit conditions. I was able to easily tow the 2000lb trailer after that except for the fact it felt unsafe because of the weight.

I went from a max on the hiway of 35 to well over 55mpg and saw up to 63mpg on a long straight stretch when on a trip to California to pick up a motorcycle.