View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Around these parts,the Storm was very popular,perhaps too popular for GM's comfort level,as soon GM/Isuzu cut a deal,where Isuzu would discontinue car production altogether and stick to trucks.I like the front of the Storm very much ( I also like the original Saturn SC ).It's windshield is better than many new cars.As you've mentioned,the backlite is too steep.I'd lose the whole greenhouse back there and also tear into the sheetmetal and see about shaping it more like the rear of the EV-1.As to the powertrain,I don't know.I believe AeroVironment eluded to it when it mentioned a 80-mpg gasoline variant of the EV-1.
That's egg-zactly what I was thinking. Both the Storm and the 1st Gen Saturn SC had similar aero-noses. Aesthetically, I don't like them, but aerodynamically I think they would be great "starting points" for aero-platforms.

There is something else I notice about the 1st gen Saturn coupes. The sides of the cars are closer to "straight up/down flat" instead of "bowed out rounded". I think this is also good for aero. Here is a picture :

It's more noticeable in the flesh.

PS - Those alloys look aero-friendly too.

CarloSW2

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st_gen_sc.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	3249  

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 04-15-2009 at 09:43 PM..