View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
Regardless of what you may have just read, Ram air has a real effect even at 65 to 70 mph. I calculated it out once for my Mercedes and cam up with a figure of ram air increasing power output of my engine by at least 1/3 of a hp at 70mph. Since my car is a diesel that more than 1/3 of a hp came at no expense of fuel consumption.

With a gas powered car your mileage may vary but it should be a positive effect.
only a third?

Stick your hand out the window at 70. substantial bit of power. If its much bigger than your hand at 70 mph your creating some pretty substantial pressure.

Ford Turino, ram air intake. In 2nd the ram air will snap open above 3,000 rpm(not on a dyno because the air is not moving) and its not very noticeable. Someone made the comment that it didn't affect the performance so my friend(much older than I) locked the intake to a pull pin on a string. in 4rth he yanked the pin at 2K rpm and it felt for all intents and purposes like he switched on a supercharger and crushed me into my seat.

I originally made the comment about 600 mph because the inlet is very small and it doesn't have any "ram-scoop" geometry. Its an opening with a more or less flat face and straight back tubing.

But at 600 mph you don't need any special geometry so long as its facing the direction of motion.

P.S. if you don't believe in ram air look up Scram jets. (Jet engine with massive ram scoop)