View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
only a third?
At least a third , but thats with no additional fuel being burned.
Quote:
Stick your hand out the window at 70. substantial bit of power. If its much bigger than your hand at 70 mph your creating some pretty substantial pressure.
Actually the pressure remains the same regardless of the size of the object moving through the air. The force increases as area increases but pressure remains the same. Look up static and dynamic pressure.
Quote:
Ford Turino, ram air intake. In 2nd the ram air will snap open above 3,000 rpm(not on a dyno because the air is not moving) and its not very noticeable. Someone made the comment that it didn't affect the performance so my friend(much older than I) locked the intake to a pull pin on a string. in 4rth he yanked the pin at 2K rpm and it felt for all intents and purposes like he switched on a supercharger and crushed me into my seat.

I originally made the comment about 600 mph because the inlet is very small and it doesn't have any "ram-scoop" geometry. Its an opening with a more or less flat face and straight back tubing.
It utilizes the whole grill of the car as a scoop. As long as the air slows down before the inlet pressure will build.