View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Thanks for the support.

1337, I'm saving reciepts and tallying up expenses. $4000 may be a difficult mark to hit. To restore this car to stock, I would need another $1000+ in body parts. I'm saving most of that amount by fabricating and repairing what I have. The result won't be pretty. ;-)

TheUnchosen, Honda took care of the alternator delete. Instead of an alternator, it has a 144VDC -> 12VDC converter, and a 144V, ~12HP permanent magnet motor that rides on the crankshaft. So I can just use regenerative braking instead of solar panels.

Converting the car to a one-passenger vehicle would indeed save weight and free up cargo space. However, I think my future ex girlfriend(s) would prefer that I just tear out the carpet and replace the glass with plastic. p.s. it sounds like you need a sedan, so you can carry obnoxious passengers in the trunk.
I have a dump truck for occassions like that. . .or if I am worried about it I can use the cement truck so no one can see in.

MM good call on Honda's part. Still if you are under your 4K and looking for additions solar would help maintain your batteries, and allow potential EV conversions to require less energy storage for your average trip.