View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Sure. Have you noticed that those SUVs are generally a lot smaller than their Detroit counterparts, and are only a small part of the import makers product line?

What you're seeing is Toyota, Honda, and the rest going after even more market share. They OWN the small car market, to the point that the few small cars Detroit tries to sell are re-badged Japanese & Korean products. If they want to increase their sales, they either have to fight amongst themselves for the small car market, or go after that fraction of the market that's been buying the big stuff.

In any case, all it takes to disprove the "Americans only want big cars" meme is to look at either sales, or what's actually out there on the roads. A lot of Americans, probably a sizeable majority, obviously don't want big cars (or SUVs or oversized pickups), because they're driving something else - and often that something else costs as much or more than the oversized American equivalent.
Thats why they don't. Go browse their normal selection of coups and sedans. more exepnsive than import counterparts.

I disagree on the what people are buying/driving. Still pretty overwhelmingly people buy larger vehicles(they might be smaller than they used to be but still SUVs). If it weren't true (that people were still heavily buying larger vehicles) then the US auto industry would be under already considering half of their proceeds came from SUVs and trucks. Even foreign manufacturers see a pretty heavy ratio of car:SUV still.

And I'll admit my mistake on the Subaru thing, a long time ago a shop mechanic I went to told me that and cited the reason that made it apparent was components that cars had in common were the same piece. Either he was lying or Subaru did the smart thing and used off the shelf pieces.