View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
adam728
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Welcome to the world of older motorcycles. Parts for those bikes are always sky high, whether it's Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, whatever.

Sometimes the newer bike parts are just as rediculas. Local Yamaha dealer wants MSRP of $24 for a base gasket for my 2005. I can go with a quality brand and get all the top end gaskets and orings for just a few bucks more. Or I can go with a cheap brand, and get everything for $18. Unfortunately my custom build requires 2 base gaskets (one on each side of a spacer plate), and no one wants to sell me just a base gasket, besides Yamaha. I've got 4 extras sitting in the garage right now, luckily I found em for $16 a piece online.

There are a couple of problems, one is volume. Think about how many cars are out there vs street bikes, plus how many of those cars share parts. I read some where once (good, solid fact, huh?) that motorcycles make up less than 3% of all registered vehicles in the US. There might have been 150,000 brake calipers produced that will fit your bike. There might be 50,000 million produced that will fit, say, a F150.

The other problem is markup on these lower volume, recreational parts. I've seen service parts that cost ~$2.50 to produce, are sold to the customer for ~$4, and then sold thru dealers for over $80! That's an extreme example, but true.