Thread: KERS for 4X4s
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
Interesting. I'd like to do something like this, but instead I want a motor mounted to each tire via a reduction gear with a beefy generator supplementing power from the batteries. Ultimate rock crawler, no diffs to catch, no axles to rub. Never have figured out why HMMVs are one of the few that use gearing at the wheel to gain clearance. Cheap no, but extremely effective.

KERS would be pretty awesome, but when I need 4x4, I tend to need it, so using it for short stints like a race car wouldn't work.
HMMWV High Mobility multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle. . .dropped the important part. . .the wheels lol.

Yeah I had considered this as well. You could achieve way more traction on unsteady terrain than through a standard differential because an on-board computer could quickly determine if the wheel is getting purchase or not and then redirect power off it completely to the other tires, or even undergo "rocking" procedures that NASA used on. . .crap can't remember the name of the lander sent to take a peak not at olympus mons but the other landing site. ITs where the wheels push and pull in different patterns to get the the sand to form a smoother slope by rocking back and then bumping the direction to shake sand down and then rock back and do it again.