View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
theunchosen - Thanks! that is the info that I was looking for. I will not be making the switch since I don't want to invest in new seals. As for my manual trans, I was just going to put in redline this summer when I replace it.
Depending on the mileage you might still be ok. Your car is an 05. . .mine is a 93 lol obviously that oil has had some serious time to work its way into and round the seals. With better cars it may not be an issue at all(I guess I mean newer cars). Usually though whenever you switch weights you get some leakage the quality of the car determines how much. Mine's pretty old and the seals were accustomed to 10w when I dropped to 5W30.

The leaking is also hard to measure since I also have a slight warp in my oil pan where a mechanic missed my reinforced structure and put the jack on the oil pan. The washer and bolt don't sit completely flush against the pan anymore so it drips a tiny amount(over a 3000 mile swap out its usually a quart low(it takes two months)). I countered this after the first swap and add a full quart about halfway between oil changes.