View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #70 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I *think* all I'm failing to understand is what the purpose of the spring/ valve is. Thermostat?
ooh, the spring-valve pressure valve or however you make that happen was for most cases that I have seen. Most systems usually have a second pump in the piping. For example the pump at my parent's house is not powerful enough to get the water up on top of the house in any timely manner so we would need a pump to get the water up there(of course then it comes back down and out the faucet with a little more pressure if the feed valve is closed(the native line to the water heater from your well)). In a system that requires an additional pump it is inconvenient to have to turn the pump off and then turn a valve to make sure it doesn't bleed out overnight. If the pressure valve only opens when the pressure is greater then just the weight of the water all you have to do to close the valve is cut off the pump with a timer everynight and it automatically seals off.

your system goes like this well->piping->pump->roof->solar collector->down->into water heater(holding tank)->through tankless heater(if hot enough no action->shower

My house would have to do this

well->piping->pump->second floor->secondary pump(to make it reach the roof)->solar collector->pressure valve(only opens if the pump is providing extra pressure)->same as your system from here.