View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
knocking/lugging

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Answering a few open questions -
1. Yes Oil changed with the service. As synthetic was 2.5 times as costly as unbranded mineral, I chose mineral.
2. Yes they got the tyre pressure down to 32 (habit slaves!) I insisted and made them take it back to the compressor and filled it back up to 50. Lots of weird glances endured... I check and top up regularly at each weekend using a digital gauge and battery operated pump.
3. AC use was not significant. It was only two / three instances, each not lasting 5 minutes before I got nervous about the FE hit and switched to window cracks.
4. I P&G regularly since Dec 08, (when I got to know about it on joining ecomodder). The change I had with the octane change was switching from granny mode to jackrabbit mode for my acceleration, on reading about the ABA testing done by SVOboy.
5. My car is almost identical to FIT (same platform), has 1.5L 5MT IDSI engine (not the popular Vtec variety), and does not require premium fuel. the premium fuel was touted to make the vehicle run smoother, so was using it.

Unchosen: What is the diagnostic unit you are talking about?

aerohead: Is the knocking thing equivalent to lugging?
hummingbird,knock is synonymous with detonation,a condition which occurs in the cylinder of the engine associated with piston slap caused by uncontrolled combustion which can lead to rapid engine damage.------------Lugging is described as a condition which exists when operating a vehicle in a gear too "high" for the rpm of the engine,which causes the vehicle to "buck" and shudder,immediately before the engine stalls.Lugging causes "jerk",which is an instantaneous acceleration in the power-train,and if maintained,can lead to bearing failure or gear failure under these instantaneous loads.