View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
LUVMY02CREW -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMY02CREW View Post
Those are some good looking set-ups ya'll have

Couple of quick questions:

tasdrouille - what is your intake connected to? Looks like its attached to something close to your manifold cover maybe???? And that is made out of aluminum dryer vent elbows, correct?

cfg83 - does your intake sit directly on the manifold? Is the end a piece of metal dryer vent also? What exactly is that size reducer? it looks like some type of plumbing thingy????
The intake dryer vent touches the top of the manifold. All the non-dryer parts are plumbing parts. It is supported in two places :

1 - Using the rectangular piece of metal in the engine picture + a Zip Tie

2 - The white plastic plumbing part "screws" onto it's reciprocal part *inside* the Air Intake. I put rubber washers on the inside and outside to finish the seal.

This setup is probably more robust than it has to be, but there is a reason. At one time I was experimenting with an "active" hot air intake. I installed an inline marine bilge blower fan to "pull" more hot air into the intake. It looked something like this :

INLINE MARINE BILGE BLOWERS 3 INCH

The rectangular metal part was *originally* to support the bilge blower.

It was a failure for a lot of reasons. First, it wasn't really needed. Closing up the engine bay could get you sufficient HAI temps. Second, because it was made of plastic, at super hot temps it was prone to melting!!!! I caught it before it got ruined, but it made it silly to keep on. I kept testing until an interior screw came off and it lost it's balance. I fixed that but didn't bother to reinstall it. I think that it was not designed for the "bumpiness" of a car ride.

CarloSW2

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hai_outside.v2.c20.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	3278   Click image for larger version

Name:	imbl03.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	3279  

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society