View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #44 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
My first, and only complaint, about my Prius.

The rear window is separated into two window areas (the top with the wiper and the bottom more vertical window). When driving at night (and someone's behind you) their headlights bob in and out of the area between the two windows and it sometimes is a bit of a shocker when it looks like someone is flashing their headlights behind you because the angle of their headlights goes from the top window (can see their lights), through the middle non-window area (can't see their lights), and then either back to the top window or into the bottom window (bottom window if they're right on my arse).

Because I'm normally driving just below or at the speed limit there's usually someone behind me at all times and I've thought they were flashing their headlights at me a few times (guessing I was driving too slow for them). But it's never been the case as of yet.

Wondering why Toyota designed the rear window this way (guessing it was to provide more stability for the window and to reduce weight)? The rear window is at a fairly extreme angle which limits sight lines and the separated window makes it a little more difficult to see.