View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #45 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
My first, and only complaint, about my Prius.

The rear window is separated into two window areas (the top with the wiper and the bottom more vertical window). When driving at night (and someone's behind you) their headlights bob in and out of the area between the two windows and it sometimes is a bit of a shocker when it looks like someone is flashing their headlights behind you because the angle of their headlights goes from the top window (can see their lights), through the middle non-window area (can't see their lights), and then either back to the top window or into the bottom window (bottom window if they're right on my arse).

Because I'm normally driving just below or at the speed limit there's usually someone behind me at all times and I've thought they were flashing their headlights at me a few times (guessing I was driving too slow for them). But it's never been the case as of yet.

Wondering why Toyota designed the rear window this way (guessing it was to provide more stability for the window and to reduce weight)? The rear window is at a fairly extreme angle which limits sight lines and the separated window makes it a little more difficult to see.
My Mercedes C230 Coupe has a similar rear window design. There is a very raked rear window and then a separate concave window right below it. My C230 is pretty aero optimized, with a factory Cd of 0.26. I think this rear window design is somewhat necessary for a Kammback-like rear shape.

Here's what my rear window looks like: http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/mercedes_be...r_rearview.jpg

The CRX, which I think has the best Cd of any Civic-derivative has a similar rear window design, but without the concave lower window: http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news...X%20rear-L.jpg

2006 Miata Touring 5MT
2006 VW Jetta TDI 6AT (Sold to buy Miata)
2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 5MT
2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe 5AT (Water damage, totaled)

DeepScale