View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
What trebuchet03 said is completely true, I couldn't agree more. People have to make up their own minds about change. Unfortunately, in America (and possibly other places), stupidity seems to have run a muck of society. Everywhere I look in the suburban area I live, I see more single passenger SUVs with huge, inefficient wheels on the road with every passing day. Thankfully many people around here are starting to realize the errors of their inefficient ways and are starting to change, but the majority of people can't seem to grasp the big picture that they are contributing to the problem with their SUVs and driving habits.

Just the other day, I was trying to explain the sudden change in my driving habits to my girlfriend of 3 years now. Up to this point I have never really cared about gas, then I started paying for it and my world flipped upside down (financially anyway). She couldn't understand why I kept putting the car in neutral to coast and why I drove so slow. I told her the reasons for savings gas and why I did what I did, but she would not be convinced that any of it really made a difference. I even showed her the proof of my millage increases and she attributed that to the fact that I must have done more highway driving them usual on that tank because that's the only place your fuel millage can just increase without doing major changes to your engine. Now, I love my girl to death, but sometimes she can be as stubborn as an ox. This just happens to be one of those times and I just gave up trying to explain it and told her she could keep her 240 miles/tank and I'll keep my 500 and we will see who's car breaks first.