View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #972 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I got the 16.000 MHz quartz crystal oscillators in the mail from China today. I think there are 50 of them. You only need 1 per controller, so that's good. Now I can run that dang program at 16 MHz instead of 8 MHz. I tested programming the micro with the crystal hooked up, and I programed the chip to run at 16 MHz, and it seems to be working fine! I haven't tested it yet, because the control section is still not done.

Also, an interesting side note: When the AVR type of microcontroller's internal RC (resistor/capacitor) oscillator is used for the system clock, it's only accurate +/- 5%, but you need +/- 2% when attempting to transfer data back and forth through the serial port, which the controller now has (well, pretty much anyway. Not tested yet. hehe) The 16 MHz crystal provides that precision clock! ya! So, extra awesome!

Oh ya, if you are ever really hungry because you had the flu, and got better pretty much, and you have tons of jelly beans, don't eat all of them, because it will make you really sick again.