Thread: Tires question
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypermilingNoob View Post
Hey everyone, this is a big update! I put the tires on the Neon, I dont really like it, it rides higher, feels like it weighs a ton but here are the exact specs. The other 4 tires on it originally were: Radial Classic p185/65R14 35max psi.....(2) Goodyear integrity p185/65r14 44max psi *one of these will not stay over 20psi* and the other is a Radial LTE Futura 2000 P185/65R14 44max psi..... The New tires are (4) Perelli P3000 P205/60R15 44max psi..... The first 4 tires weighted 30 pounds each and the new Perellis weight 39 pounds a piece which means I am lugging around an extra 36pounds! :-(
Unfortunately since its rotational mass that is proportional to your speed you are lugging effectively at least twice that.

Fortunately Pirelli makes good tires. Also you likely will see gains because the pressure will remain high(I would recommend 40-44(towards the low end because I am a little nervous about putting that much)). Also you will obviously save on having to pump the tires every week

The most important thing is you aren't driving on low tread and also importantly you have the same tread pattern on all 4 tires now. Having different tread can have advantages(in racing applications where the rear needs to grip evenly and the front needs to grip and turn under heavy lateral acceleration, but only in Rally because track racing(dry) they are smooth). But it also could pose a slight issue in inclement weather if one tire were designed with a different grip pattern it could weight shift from one part of the tire to another(where its tread is designed to grip) and the slight weight shift could result in a loss of traction.