View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
1996CivicHX
EcoModding Lurker

just got my 96 civic HX.. got it just because of ecomodder!

Hey guys!
I waited long enough but was so tired of paying for gas! well I own a wheel repair shop and we do tons of pick ups and deliveries. So I finally analyzed our gas bills and WOA! Decided we needed 2 cars.. one for dropping off drivers to pick up cars and one for actually picking up wheels. been browsing this site and came up with the decision for a civic HX. Just got one yesterday for $2200 from a desperate seller. 160K on the clock. Timing belt at 130K. just needed front brake pads. I'm new to this site so anything you guys tell me to do to my car, i most probably will do it. i have my own game plan already which i will do in steps. i'm basically going by the smartgas.net tips and my own logical or illogical thinking.. hehe.. but hey! i want this car to represent ecomodder so give me all your ideas! please dont flame at me! i'm only a rookie!
Here's my plan / list so far.
1. buy the 50 state..non-ca only computer. ( got on ebay $75)
2. Hot air intake (ebay $28.00)
3. clean engine using auto-rx and having both a oil filter magnet made by magnaforce and have an oil drain plug magnet. It's going to be conventional oil for the first 6000 miles to clean and rinse vehilcle. then going to torco 15 40 with a top off of their additive.. (auto Rx $25 , magnaforce $40, drain plug $10, Torco oil and additive.. bought already $55)
4. fitch fuel catalyst in tank drop in (ebay $90) heard it works best with EFIE? i'm skeptical.. will see.. but i had to try it and see for myself
5. Pulstar plugs (got em for FREE,, long story, heard good and bad, I will be drilling the hold in the electrodes as per smartgas.net)
6. hotter thermosat (kragen $20 and will be doing the pure coolant thing.. i'm curious who done this as I don't hear a lot about it.. any thoughts?)
7. oil filter? what do you guys suggest? Baldwin? Fram X2? mobil1? Canton mecca? I've used cantom mecca on my race BMW's before with good results. only thing is they cost $100 but the replacement element is $8.
8. Fuel Magnet ($15) heard it only really works with EFIE / computer mods.
9. Fuel heater ( dunno if I should go with the water for gas design?.. or do I try to contact lou laponte of brightgreen see if he still has some left over? or should I create my own?
10. EFIE.. ($75.. eagle research) I heard it won't work on the 5 wire 02 sensor and that i would be best with custom engine tuning .. but i heard no one tunes V-tech-e cuz it's a pain in the ass.

11. one last thing.. i was wondering if bolt on performance mods really help with mileage? Do bigger throttle bodies, vortex throttle body spacers, high flow intake manifolds, headers, high flow cats, and performance exhaust.... .. do these help with MPG if I don't increase fuel deliver?. yeah the car may sound faster.. but i'm a cheap ass.. i don't wanna pay for gas.. the reason I ask is that I may a have a local sponsor providing me with all those things for free.... but i'm not going to put them on if they hurt MPG.

any other thoughts on the whole acetone.. PCV filter, hydrogen thing would be appreciated.. but what i'm aiming for is easy no maintenance mods.. so I don't want to be adding water.. adding acetone .. etc.. all the time.. I want the car to be as if you just add gas and that's it