View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
presidential
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Can someone help me with this:

Vehicles that I can think-of, which have spring-loaded valves in the muffler:

Nissan Altima
Mitsu Lancer Evo
Scion xA

On the Scion, I found a post with a cut-away of the device and discussion

So, what is the purpose of this? I know on the Evo, it would open to let more exhaust through when at full-boost, high RPM (and consequently louder).

RH77
There is also the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 (and it's Stealth AWD turbo sibling), the Corvette Z06 (optional on the LS3 08-?? Corvettes as well) and certain years of the Infiniti M45 (Q45s may have this as well, I am unsure). As far as I know, most of those systems are operated by a solenoid, none are vacuum operated (where one could rig up a rising rate regulator based on engine vacuum).

If you wanted to get really clever, install an electric cutout (available from Summit amongst other places) and have it go to another exhaust system.

The purpose on a boosted application is to relieve the exhaust of any backpressure. Most high-performance turbocharged applications like as little restriction as possible for optimum power output, hence my reason for putting 3" exhaust on all of my past turbocharged applications. I could go on and on but I'll shut up now. Hope some of my drivel helped out.
1964 Pontiac Catalina 455 (0 mpg, doesn't move)