View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #54 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

I never said the whole market. I made a post elsewhere to the effect that if you put gas at a dollar a gallon for several months and made it look like it were going to do that forever and then you offered a car buyer a dealer with one of every make,model,color,package a huge chunk of them would chose the SUV even though it costs more.

US cars are much bigger than European or oriental counterparts. As I said in that other post you walk by a Smart ForTwo in europe and its not that big of a deal, here its like a toy. You see the A class in traffic and you feel like its a bigger vehicle on the road. My Del Sol would be a little wide to fit on most European streets I've been on(Italy, England France)

Size is why Citroen and Fiat aren't here now. . .their cars would not survive the perceived safety factor against getting hit with a semi or an SUV.

That said our cars are getting smaller and lighter and more aero. . .but if GW goes belly up or gas prices bottom out and stay there that trend will reverse.