View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hugh Jim Bissel
EcoModding Lurker

Connie - '00 Kawasaki Concours

Good Vibe-rations - '03 Pontiac Vibe GT
Hey, finally registered cause I wanted to add my 2 cents about your ground-source heat/air plans. The past year I've been helping install a commercial level ground-source system. I'm not a HVAC tech or engineer, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt (or a shaker full): I can only say "thats what we did here." (in Texas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I've also been wondering about how much heat can be stored underground?
Would it be worth while to pump the sun's heat into the ground all summer?
About pumping heat into the ground, I would think that would be worthwhile if your main demand is heating. Here in TX, the main draw is AC, and some systems will have "dry coolers" to pump excess heat out of the system during the winter; because the temperature of the system water (closed loop) creeps higher and higher due to the high AC demand relative to heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
They should be separated by at least 8 feet each.
Our borehoeles were spaced 20ft apart. The greater spacing will likely help increase the amount of heat that can be stored. If it's just one or two rows, the spacing may not matter as much as in our case where we had 230 boreholes in the space of about a soccer field and a half!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
P.S: There are some new posts about polyethylene welding and also proceedure for testing a borehole for thermal transfer rate over at this link:
The Homemade Heat Pump Manifesto - Page 2 - EcoRenovator
Just left a post there about my experience and recommendations for polyethylene welding.

All these different threads got me confuzzled: I'd been reading both this thread and that one (@ ecorenovator). I finally decided to register at ecorenovator to reply. I made the post about poly welding then went looking for this thread to reply to it. After checking my browser history, I finally found it here at ecomodder. Oh well, I guess the excuse was needed, I've been lurking here long enough.