View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
consaka
EcoModding Lurker

Active Learning - '93 Chevy Suburban Silverado
90 day: 10.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
The premise is that the old timey diesel pumps are positive displacement. If the length of the injection event can be determined as well as the rpm (both from the same sensor) then it should be possible to get a relative consumption figure of the fuel that was just squirted into the cylinder. That would be the simplest in terms of installation anyway, but you might have to go through a few tanks to get it dialed in (business as usual for most fuel consumption gizmos)
hmmm what about fuel leakoff? This is literally fuel that leaks past injection pistons at the pump and at the injectors. This is the wear factor and will change with time. I guess you could recalibrate once a year or something. Also what about differences in pump design? I am only really familiar with the stanadyne pumps that came on early GM vehicles. Basically the piston rolls up a ramp. At idle it barely touches the ramp where at full throttle it is allowed to hit the whole ramp. Timing is controlled by turning the ring like housing that has the ramps in it. I could post a picture of the parts that actually do the injection events. I have a stanadyne pump from an GM 6.2 liter diesel. These pumps were used a lot and eventually modified to be computer controlled for the later 6.5 engines.