View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Smoove
EcoModding Lurker

ZJ - '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
90 day: 21.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPlastic View Post
Ok, so it's starting to warm up and I've been planning on making one of these. One question I have is would ABS plastic be safe to use? The melting point is much lower then nylon 221F as opposed to the nylons 420F. I ask because I have a bunch of left over 3/8" sheets that would work great for this if it won't melt.

I know engine temp in the Jeep sits around 209F. What kind of temps does the throttle body see?
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the spacer on my 96 old 4.0 ZJ made a slightly noticeable increase in horsepower (mostly getting on the highway or up hills). I also gained 1.2mpg lifetime (roughly 140k) after the installation over the baseline of the previous 65k. Mine was made out of aluminum, I took the gasket to a local machine shop and told them to make me one a little over 1" thick (no hood clearance beyond that). I needed longer bolts for the TB and the throttle cables, but I got those from a fellow jeeper.

After my success, a buddy with a 92 XJ made one out of wood, he saw very limited gains (and drove like an ass). He hasn't had any problems with burning in the last five years.

And I believe the intake manifold gets much hotter than 209*, simply because the exhaust header is directly underneath it.